The first question everyone wants to know is “how much will it cost to remodel my bathroom?” Explaining this has got to be one of the most difficult things ever.
Talking about costs is a pretty taboo thing in the residential construction industry. So many contractors lack transparency. We have prided ourselves in being different in this industry, so we are going to break the rules by discussing the various price points for a bathroom remodel before the “in home consultation”.
We are a true builder with construction knowledge to that I wish to share. The more advised you are, the better you are at making informative decisions for your bathroom remodel. It’s easy to envision your dream bathroom, but when money is tight and you start the remodeling process, your dream bathroom can easily turn into a nightmare. A good contractor will not let your bathroom develop into something that you did not want. Instead, they should be competent enough to help you select nicest and best materials while remaining within your price range.
There are many factors that will affect the costs of a bathroom remodel. Basic construction issues will always arise. Such as repairs, client selections for vanities, tub/shower, tile/stone, adding space and storage, as well as whether or not things need to be moved around. All of this becomes a factor in determining the true cost of a bathroom remodel.
Bathroom Remodel Price Ranges:
- Basic level $8,000- $15,000.00- Include low cost plumbing fixtures (type you find in Home Depot, Lowes). At this price range you can have prefabricated cabinets and porcelain tiles. This is a good quality remodel with value porcelain tile in the $2 range and many off the shelf items. Good design and good bones.
- Mid-Level $15,000- $22,000- This bathroom is outfitted with good quality fixtures usually found at stores like Fergusons. Tile options for walls usually are either porcelain tile or travertine. The vanities can be higher quality prefabricated cabinets or smaller custom vanities. This is truly a beautiful bathroom with high quality materials and craftsmanship.
- Luxury Level $22,000- $40,000- I love building these bathrooms! Not because we make more money, but because at this price point we build truly majestic bathrooms. Luxury level bathrooms are designed and built to give clients a “in home spa experience.” Imagine a shower with wall jets and ceiling rain showers. Jet tubs with built in heaters are also commonly installed. In many cases, the custom vanities are comparable to a piece of fine furniture. Wall tiles can vary form limestone, marble, granite, or natural stone.
Bathroom remodeling costs hinge around 2 Factors:
- Finish costs- this includes the cost bathroom tile, countertop material, quality of the plumbing fixtures, custom cabinetry, and shower enclosure.
- Changing bathroom foot print- Moving walls, moving toilets, and sinks from one place in the room to another. This triggers massive infrastructure costs to relocate the waste and feed plumbing lines.
These items represent what the bathroom will ultimately look like. Bathroom tile can range from a cheap Home Depot special of $ 0.79 per foot to a gorgeous $15 per foot Carrera Marble.
Tile costs represent about 10% of the bathroom remodeling cost (Installation not included). Most high quality porcelain tile and deco strip is around $1,500 for a 75 square foot bathroom (typical small 1950’s house).
- Custom cabinets run about $2,500 for units up to 48” long.
- Pre-fabricated vanities are approximately $1,200 if constructed with plywood sides.
- Expect to spend around $2,000.00 in mid-level plumbing fixtures (Kohler).
- Frameless shower enclosures can range from $1,200- $2700 depending on size and complexity of the installation.
Changing bathroom foot print:
Some bathrooms are so poorly configured that we need to change the existing layout. These changes can cause the price of the bathroom remodel to rise.
- Moving a toilet or bathtub affects the hidden plumbing.
- If your bathroom has a concrete slab, it gets even pricier because we have to cut through the concrete to re-run drain lines. This part alone can cost about $3,500.00- $5,500.00.
- Moving walls is also pretty expensive. Installing new beams and posts will run you $1,300.00 in engineering and as much as $2,500.00 in framing costs!